Thursday, February 10, 2011

Conceiving + 9 months

This is a post of the whole pregnancy process.  The next post will be the labor and delivery part.
Let’s see where we should begin…I think we will start with a brief overview.  First off, we did not want anyone to know we were trying.  This was for various reasons.  And I’ll just write in now, that we held strong.  In October of 2009, we decided to finally get off birth control.  Wyatt was a year and a half.  I was not ready at all to be pregnant or have a baby.  Kyle was of course, definitely ready.  Part of the reason is that I did not want to have to work full time with 2 kids.  We had been looking for another job for Kyle ever since Wyatt was born so that I could go part time.  But, with the economy there were hardly any decent jobs.  Not that RC Willey was good but he made more than what people wanted to start him off at.  The other was I had finally by that time, lost all of my baby weight.  It took me a very long time to get motivated to lose the weight and then I finally did it and now it would come back on.  Kyle and I disagreed for quite a while about the decision.  He had some valid reasons as to start then.  It took us 10 months to get pregnant with Wyatt and if it took us that long again Wyatt would be about 3 ½.  I wanted the kids to be around 3 years apart.  We prayed about it and decided that it was our trail of faith.  So, off the birth control I went.  We thought at Christmas time that I maybe was pregnant because I got nauseous.  But, we weren’t.  It was funny (not at the time) but I was not ready to be pregnant but as the months would go by and I wasn’t pregnant, I got so sad.
                At my work when you work full time, you get flex dollars that you can use to purchase benefits.  Since I did not need benefits, I would use the flex dollars for a Health Care Reimbursement Account.  They told us toward the end of 2009 that we would not be getting flex in 2010.  That sucked so bad because we paid most of Wyatt off with the money I got from flex.   Well, 2010 came and in January they reevaluated and decided to give us flex.  It started in February, so we only got 11 months of flex dollars instead of 12.  Kyle and I could not believe the news.  We then knew that we were meant to have another baby.  This was such a blessing because now we could afford to do the infertility.  We knew back in October that we probably would have to do infertility but we decided in the fall that we would wait a few months of trying on our own before we would go to the doctor.  Now that the flex was reinstated, I immediately called the doctor and got in within a month to start the process.   My first appointment was the end of January.  In February, they had an increase in their pricing for infertility.   The price tripled.  I was floored when I got the new fertility pricing sheet.  The Lord works in mysterious ways.  When you are supposed to do something and you don’t think you can, he makes it possible.   At the first appointment, they didn’t do much.  They looked at my chart and saw what they did to get me pregnant with Wyatt and started me off with that.  During this time, Kyle and I were both going up for new jobs.  Mine was at the bank still, just a different department.  Kyle was going for a job at Intermountain Healthcare Homecare.  For me, going to the new department I would be working about 30 hours a week instead of 50.  I would still get benefits so I would still be getting flex.  This was in March that these things were happening.  Not pregnant by this point.  Well, by the beginning of April, Kyle and I found out 2 days apart that we each got the new jobs.  Again, weird how the Lord works.  We got Kyle a new job and I was able to work full time, but at reduced hours so to me if felt like part time. 
We had found out on Wyatt’s birthday that Clif and Kristin were pregnant.  That was one of our drawbacks to getting pregnant.  We did not want to get pregnant before them.  They had tried for 2 years before they finally conceived.  I was so happy for them but at the same time I was really sad that it hadn’t happened for us yet.  Fast forward to May, mother’s day.  I was on day 30 of my cycle.  I kept hoping that this was the month that we get pregnant.  Usually you wait until like day 35 to test.  But, I was so anxious that I decided to test.  I did and it was very hard to tell what the result was.  Kyle swore that he saw a plus and another line.  But to see part of the plus, you had to tilt the test and look in the light.  I was determined that you shouldn’t have to tilt the test in the light.  That to me was definitely not the right way the test worked.  I had taken the test before church.  Off to church we headed.  That was a very hard day for me especially in Sacrament meeting.  I just kept thinking and thinking about that test.  Maybe Kyle was right.  After church I decided that I would take another test, but I would try a different brand.  I had a stock of them since I get reimbursed from flex.  The one I took this time was a digital one that says either “pregnant” or “not pregnant”.   Guess what, it came back PREGNANT!  Kyle didn’t know that I had taken the test.  I ran into the kitchen, Kyle was preparing a salad for the picnic, and showed it to him.  He dropped what he was doing and we hugged and cried.  It was definitely so odd that it only took us 6 months to get pregnant.  3 of those were with us having gone to the doctor.  We conceived on Wyatt’s birthday!!  And we were 5 weeks apart from Clif and Kristin.  Little by little, we told our families that we were pregnant.  The last to find out was my mom.  I wanted to tell her by having her come to the doctor with me. 
Since Kyle had started a new job in April, he had wait to get insurance.  We again were blessed and he got insurance after 30 days.  I made my first appointment a day after our insurance started.  I was about 7 ½ weeks by this point.  Since I had tested so early to find out if I was pregnant, I was 4 weeks along.  Those 3 ½ weeks were so long and scary for me.  I did not want to tell people that we were before we went to the doctor, but slowly we told everyone except mom before the appointment.  Mom did find out at the appointment and said she had no idea.  I personally think that she had been told accidentally from one of the family members.  I again went to the Circle of Life with Julia Johansson as my OBGYN.  I don’t love her, but she does her job well and I trust her.  She is just not a very personable doctor.  And at the clinic, she is the only actual female doctor.  So, she is very busy with a ton of patients.  My due date was January 15, 2011. 
The time went by relatively fast because I was super busy taking care of Wyatt and all the house responsibilities.  Kyle worked a bad shift of 11-8.  It was nice for Wyatt as he wasn’t at Dawn’s very long but for me, it was not a great shift.  I got off about 3 and would get Wyatt and then would come home and do all of the household stuff along with the yard work.  I also got a Lagoon pass to help pass by the time during the summer.  When I was around 15 ½ weeks pregnant they tried to determine the sex of the baby.  She thought it was a girl but could not give us a certain answer.  I was excited but at the same time thought that it would turn out boy.  I really didn’t care what the sex was as long as it was healthy.  The next 2 appointments Julia tried to determine what the sex was, but the baby was not very cooperative.  She still thought it was a girl but said she had the right to change her mind until the next appointment.  We finally found out at our targeted ultrasound (around 22 weeks) that it was definitely a girl.  I left this appointment with very mixed emotions.  I wanted it to be a boy for Wyatt’s sake and because I wouldn’t have to change anything.  But, I wanted a girl to have one of each sex and also to doll up my baby girl.   
The rest of the pregnancy was fantastic.  There were no complications at all.  I am a very lucky woman when actually being pregnant.  It does take me going to the doctor to get pregnant, but when I am pregnant, I have very easy pregnancies.  I didn’t get sick very often.  I mostly got nauseous on Monday mornings because I worked at 6 and I wasn’t eating enough.  I got that fixed by packing myself more food.  I was pretty tired though the whole pregnancy.  I blame that to a very active 2 year old.  I am trying to think if there are any details that I am forgetting.  Oh, some of the girl names that we, well I should say I pondered on were: Oaklee, Hadlee, Paislee, Berklee, & Ellee. 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment